Wednesday 20 June 2012

Feel The Fear.....and do it anyway!

Whatever you may think and feel while reading this blog, I want to share this with you:

As a fellow creator, I am no different to you. I have had the same doubts, the same anxieties, the same insecurities and the same fears as you feel. Ironically it was during a time of great illness (cancer to be precise) that I started to read positive thinking and self awareness books.



One book in particular comes back to me over and over again and it is with the highest recommendation that I suggest this to you.
The book is 'Feel The Fear And Do It Anyway' by Susan Jeffers.

The book will teach you how to turn your fears and indecision into confidence and action.
Many creators feel the fear. What if no-one will like it, what if no-one will buy it, what if I fail, what if.......
Ahhhh.....but the point here is 'What If'.....they DO like it? What if it DOES sell, What if you DON'T!


Unless you try and at least have a go, then you will never know. It's easy to buy all the gear and never get started.....why? Because of your fear of failing? Let me tell you right now.....There is NO such thing as FAILURE! It's a word that need eradicating from the dictionary! 


Surely it's better to try than never try at all. And surely trying something and finding that that particular thing does not work is a success because it may just lead you onto something else.
I started my creative career doing something completely different....in fact I have had 2 other businesses before this one. Both I gave up, but boy did I learn so much from both of them.
From the first I learnt to teach groups of people, something that would stand me in good stead when I taught at Further Education many years later. It taught me how to teach a structured craft class and how to communicate with different type of learning models.


The second taught me how to sell my work....to the general public and later to approach shops and outlets. Neither of the first two made me a fortune, but the valuable lessons learnt were priceless.


So....be brave......take the bull by the horns and make a start. If that fear is still inside you try this:
Take a sheet of paper and fold it in half. On the left side write a list of what you fear most about starting to create and on the right what have you got to gain if it works!


Then tear the sheet in 2 and taking the right hand list, pin that somewhere where it is visible daily and often, say the fridge door perhaps.....remind yourself EVERY TIME you see that piece of paper WHY you want to create.
Question: What holds you back?

If there is something in particular I will write an article sometime soon, because you can be sure, if you are being held back by something or have some doubt or fear.....then someone else will have.
So.....Feel That Fear..... AND DO IT ANYWAY!



Please feel free to leave a comment... 
We love hearing from you!


Article (c) Sue Simpson

Inspired by Script and North Yorkshire Weddings

No comments: